To Grow with Love, the much hyped-about HK serial featuring overweight Fei Tian whose alter egos include Bridget Jones and Kim Sam Soon, has been airing for quite a while now on cable tv. My mother finds Fei Tian (Myolie Wu who gamely put on i dunno..20 kg?) cute. I, on the other hand, am totally pissed off.
Characters who get on my nerves
1) Fei Tian can’t stop eating and thinks about food every second. She is such a glutton that she can’t function properly if she isn’t fed on time. She doesn’t so much as eat, but devour every single meal with manic relish. She also enjoys trying on and subsequently destroying clothes that just can’t fit. Watching Fei Tian and her antics made me feel nothing but disgust. If the serial had aimed to perpetuate stereotypes of the overweight, it has certainly achieved its objective.
Worse still, Fei Tian comes across childish and spoilt. She accepted the proposal of a man she didn’t love, Jia Hui, and ditched him at the wedding altar no less. She had no qualms about angering her father either. After embarking on a diet, she conveniently ordered Jia Hui to eat all the food she ordered in her presence so that she could live vicariously through him. Irritating is an understatement.
2) Andy Hui’s character Da Si Xi. He had a beautiful, smart and kind girlfriend, Man Yi. He was deeply in love with her throughout the first half of the serial, and with good reason considering all her virtues. Then with the speed of a racing Lamborghini, he did a 180 degree U-turn, broke up with Man Yi and got together with his one true love, Fei Tian. The whole manner in which he handled his love affairs was just callous and selfish. He had proposed to Man Yi in order to, in his words, try to forget Fei Tian. When he couldn’t, he used fate as an excuse. He could also give a great lesson on how Not to initiate a break-up- this guy marched up with Fei Tian to Manyi’s home and then simply told Manyi he could not marry her as he has realised his heart lies with Fei Tian. Fei Tian then added oh-so-sincerely: “You could slap me, scold me, do whatever you like”. Like huh?
3) Sister Pretty. I don’t even know where to begin. She is meddlesome and craves to be in the thick of everything. I don’t know what is worse- her busybody character or the fact that the directors seem to want to depict her as a Love Guru whose interventions were crucial in helping Fei Tian and Da Si Xi discover their hearts’ true desires. The irony is that Sister Pretty is an old spinster -_-
Plot which gets on my nerves
1) Man Yi has the brawn, the brains, isn’t clingy, is mature, quite perfectly likeable and has been with DaSiXi for many years, working hard alongside him in their design company, never pressuring him to propose. DaSiXi’s decision made no sense!
3) DaSiXi hated Fei Tian with a vengeance but because of a series of unbelievable cheesy encounters of fate (coming from a die-hard romantic like me, believe me when i say it is unbelievable), he decided she was the One. The plot didn’t show how DaSiXi and Fei Tian’s relationship developed… they were just basically always bumping into each other and tada! they are meant to be together.
3) How the directors tried to vilify Man Yi after she was jilted, but never quite succeeding in their attempts. I mean, they made Man Yi so perfect that viewers would feel upset for her! Her wrong-doings, which were not really evil in any case, were quite justifiable!
4) Jia Hui is rich, cute and deeply in love with Fei Tian. Fei Tian meanwhile, has been portrayed as an undesirable woman who has never been in a relationship. If i were Fei Tian, i would have pounced on Jia Hui.
However, I do like Fei Xi and Baole=) Fei Xi, is..yes, plump and really cute:) Baole is pretty but mercenary. She has one sole aim in life- to marry a rich man before she turns 25. The series has not ended, but with the way things are going, the two are probably going to end up together. Maybe cos’ there were lots of interaction between them, maybe cos’ their relationship developed realistically and slowly, maybe cos’ Fei Xi is really sweet..but i find myself rooting for them=) They are probably the reason why i still bother sometimes to sit on the sofa with my mum to watch the series. The theme songs are nice. Er and…Myolie was quite amazing, packing on those pounds and shedding them on the double.
You could be thin, beautiful and kind- but your lover will leave you. The moral of the story is to be fat, selfish and you will get the man so long as you know how to make your lips quiver with suppresed anguish whenver you are bullied. Be prepared to gag whenever Andy Hui and Myolie Wu decide to hold hands, dance, and talk about how they are meant for each other. Now…if the director had made Fei Tian nicer, Man Yi more detestable, allocated much more time for DaSiXi and Fei Tian’s relationship to grow and have more regard for the average viewer’s sensibilities, to Grow with Love could just have had a shot at growing on the audience.